In Soviet Russia, the product endorses YOU!

I've always said that the marketing people at Ford are pure genius for snagging Kiefer Sutherland to do the voice overs in their commercials. Not only is he Jack Bauer and a pirate, he's a total fox. That voice. He could sell me anything.

But now my beloved Zach Braff is water. Yes, he is the voice of water in the current PUR Water Filtration campaign.

Although celebrity endorsement is nothing new (hell, good ole Eddie Bernays got a bunch of celebrities to party with Coolidge at the White House so people wouldn't think he was such a sour-puss before re-election), it seems to be getting a little out of hand, no?
 
Is the fact that Zach Braff is the voice of water going to persuade me to buy a PUR water filter for my tap? Probably not, because I'm a poor student and I have a Brita pitcher. It's ridiculous that we can be convinced to buy things because actors are in the ads. You know they're just acting in those, right? That's what they do for a living. Pretend. So stop trying to sell stuff to me. Did you hear me, Andie MacDowell? I already use L'Oreal products!

However, I just saw this celebrity election ad for the first time in my Consumerism class this week (yes, I'm several months behind) and it's actually quite hilarious. Give me a break though, Harrison Ford is in it!

1 comments:

The Blonde Fury said...

The following takes place between 1:00am and 2:00am.

Post a Comment