Set Me Adrift

I want to be a dead-beat

A beat-nick

A nick-knack collector

But what would I do 

With all these things

Too heavy with memory 

To sling on my back

Too precious with heart

To spread on the street

Because I’ll be that girl

With chalk on her face

And red speckled elbows

Toe-tapping the tune

Of the last passer-by

And with the sweep of her hand

Clearing the dust

Of humming and drumming

Everyday life

Before unfolding a palm

And blowing a kiss

To the blank canvas below

Covering it with colour

Perfectly matching your face

Until too many feet

Or too much rain

Turns you into someone 

I don’t recognize

6 comments:

Jess said...

this should be published somewhere great

Anonymous said...

Wow, you never cease to amaze me [and I'm not just saying that because as your mom I'm required to, haha]

Nicole said...

Thank you both!
The piece didn't go where I thought it would when I started, but I quite like it.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy this.
I love the repetition of too/to, for some reason it just feels right. Probably the have/leave thing.
I also love all this canvas and chalk imagery at the end. It makes me think of Mary Poppins, but in a good way. Like what Mary Poppins could have been.

Nicole said...

Gracias. Like if Mary Poppins hadn't been riddled with colonial discourse!

Jessica said...

Is this published somewhere great yet?!

Post a Comment